Huailei (Ray) Jiang, Ph.D
Huailei (Ray) Jiang, Ph.D
Department of Oncology, Wayne State University School of Medicine
Scientific Director and Senior PET Radiochemist
Cyclotron and Radiochemistry Core, Karmanos Cancer Institute
My research interests focus on the development and investigation of novel C-11 and F-18 labeled PET drugs for the precise diagnosis of cancer, heart and brain related diseases.
Mayo Clinic, MN Research Fellow, PET Radiochemistry, 2013 - 2016
University of Chinese Academy of Sciences, Ph. D, Medicinal Chemistry, 2006 - 2012
Anhui Normal University, B.S, Applied Chemistry, 2002 - 2006
Karmanos Cancer Institute/Wayne State University, MI 2020 to present
Scientific Director and Senior PET Radiochemist of Cyclotron and Radiochemistry Core/Associate Professor of Oncology
- Development of C-11 and F-18 labeled PET drugs for the precise diagnosis of cancer, heart and brain related diseases within theranostic concept.
- Supervision of cGMP manufacturing of PET drugs, including various (A)NDA, IND and RDRC PET drugs.
Mayo Clinic, FL 2018 to 2020
Senior PET Radiochemist/Assistant Professor of Radiology
- Validation of PET drug production for ANDA application; prepared for FDA's Pre-Approval Inspection (PAI) and received FDA approvals (F-18 FDG, C-11 Choline, N-13 Ammonia and F-18 Sodium Fluoride).
- Validation for IND PET drug: C-11 PIB/C-11 PK11195 and F-18 FDOPA/F-18 AV1451.
- Quality assurance activities, including continuous improvement on PET drug production process and quality control method; responsible for approval/release PET drug for clinical use.
Mayo Clinic, MN 2013 - 2018
Research Associate/Senior Research Fellow/Research Fellow
- Successful translation of novel radiotracers for IND studies, such as F-18 TFB for thyroid cancer and oncolytic virus reporter gene imaging.
- Development of F-18 FMISO analogs for hypoxia imaging.
- Novel F-18 radiochemistry development including production and transport of gaseous F-18-synthons.
- Involve solution target production of radiometals (Ga-68, Zr-89, Zn-63) and chelation development.
Shanghai ChemPartner Co. Ltd. 2012 - 2013
Synthetic Organic Chemist
- Design chemistry route and synthesis of targeted organic molecules
- Lead compound profiling
- Maintenance of lab equipment and product/intermediate library
Awards and Honors
- 2015, 21st International Symposium on Radiopharmaceutical Sciences (ISRS), DOE Travel Award
- 2016, Mayo Clinic Radiology Research Award: Optimization of novel 2-nitroimidazole based radiotracers for brain tumor hypoxia imaging
- 2020, Recognized for excellence from Division of Nuclear Medicine in Radiology department, Mayo Clinic, FL
Society of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging (SNMMI) 2014 to present
- Jiang H, Fang P, et.al. Analysis of [11C]Choline and [13N]Ammonia using a single HPIC method. Applied Radiation and Isotopes, 2021, 168, 109560.
- Vandergaast R, Khongwichit S, Jiang H, et. al. Enhanced noninvasive imaging of oncology models using the NIS reporter gene and bioluminescence imaging. Cancer Gene Therapy, 2020, 27 (3), 179-188
- JiangH and DeGrado T. 18F-Tetrafluoroborate (18F-TFB) and Its Analogs for PET Imaging of the Sodium/Iodide Symporter. Theranostics, 2018, 8 (14), 3918.
- JiangH, Bansal A, et.al. Synthesis and evaluation of 18F-Hexafluorophosphate as a novel PET tracer for imaging of Sodium/Iodide Symporter in a Murine C6-Glioma Tumor Model. Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry, 2018, 26, 225-231.
- Brunton B, Suksanpaisan L, Li H, Liu Q, Yu Y, Vrieze A, Zhang L, Jenks N, Jiang H. et al. New transgenic NIS reporter rats for longitudinal tracking of fibrogenesis by high-resolution imaging. Scientific reports, 2018, 8, 1-9.
- JiangH, Schmit RN, et.al. Safety, Pharmacokinetics, Metabolism and Radiation Dosimetry of 18F-Tetrafluoroborate (18F-TFB) in Healthy Human Subjects. European Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging Research, 2017, 7, 90.
- JiangH, Bansal A, et.al. Synthesis of 18F-Tetrafluoroborate (18F-TFB) via Radiofluorination of Boron Trifluoride and Evaluation in a Murine C6-Glioma Tumor Model. Journal of Nuclear Medicine, 2016, 57, 1454-1459.
- Hickey R, Mao S, Glorioso J, Elgilani F, Amiot B, Chen H, Rinaldo P, Marler R, Jiang H, et.al. Curative ex vivo Liver-directed Gene Therapy in a Pig Model of Hereditary Tyrosinemia Type 1. Science Translational Medicine, 2016, 8, 349ra99
- DeGrado T, Kemp B, Pandey M, Jiang H, et.al. First-in-human PET Imaging of 63Zn-zinc Citrate in Healthy Elderly Subjects and Patients with Alzheimer's Disease. Molecular imaging, 2016, 15, 1-10.
- Jiang H, DiMagno S, DeGrado T. Production and Transport of Gaseous 18F-Synthons: 18F-Acyl Fluorides. Journal of Fluorine Chemistry, 2015, 180, 181-185.
- Ou-Yang J, Zhao Y, Jiang H, et.al. A Simple, One-Pot Synthesis of Trans-Substituted Spiro [5, 5] undecane-1, 5, 9-triones with Aromatic Aldehydes and Meldrum's Acid as the Starting Materials. Australian Journal of Chemistry, 2015, 68, 1599-1602.
- DeGrado T, Pandey M, Byrne J, Engelbrecht, H, Jiang H, et.al. Preparation and Preliminary Evaluation of 63Zn Citrate as a Novel PET Imaging Biomarker for Zinc. Journal of Nuclear Medicine, 2014, 55, 1348-1354.
- Pandey M, Byrne JF, Jiang H, et.al. Cyclotron Production of (68)Ga via the (68)Zn(p,n)(68)Ga Reaction in Aqueous Solution. American Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging, 2014, 4, 303-310.
- Domingo-Musibay E, Allen C, Kurokawa C, Hardcastle J, Aderca I, Msaouel P, Bansal A, Jiang H, et.al. Measles Edmonston Vaccine Strain Derivatives Have Potent Oncolytic Activity against Osteosarcoma. Cancer Gene Therapy, 2014, 21, 483-490.
- Huang L, Lu C, Sun Y, Mao F, Luo Z, Su T, Jiang H, et.al. Multitarget-Directed Benzylideneindanone Derivatives: Anti-β-Amyloid (Aβ) Aggregation, Antioxidant, Metal Chelation, and Monoamine Oxidase B (MAO-B) Inhibition Properties against Alzheimer's Disease. Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, 2012, 55, 8483-8492.
- Shan W J, Huang L, Zhou Q, Jiang H, et. al. Dual β2-Adrenoceptor Agonists-PDE4 Inhibitors for the Treatment of Asthma and COPD. Bioorganic Medicinal & Chemistry Letters, 2012, 22, 1523-1526.
- Jiang H, Wang X, et. al. Benzenediol-berberine Hybrids: Multifunctional Agents for Alzheimer's Disease. Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry, 2011, 19, 7228-7235.
- Jiang H, Jain M and Cai. H. Analysis of [11C]Choline Using High Pressure Ion Chromatography System (HPIC) with Autosampler. Journal of Nuclear Medicine, 2019, (supp) S639.
- JiangH, Schmit N, et.al. cGMP Synthesis of Sodium-Iodide Symporter (NIS) Probe 18F-Tetrafluoroborate (18F-TFB) and Biodistribution in Healthy Male and Female Human Subjects. Journal of Nuclear Medicine, 2017 (supp) S682.
- JiangH, Bansal A, et.al. First Synthesis of [18F]Hexafluorophosphate and In Vivo Evaluation as PET Reporter Probe for Sodium/Iodide Symporter Imaging. Journal of Labelled Compound and Radiopharmaceuticals, 2017 (suppl) S60.
- JiangH, DeGrado T. Acyl [18F] Fluorides as Novel Synthons for Radiofluorination Journal of Nuclear Medicine, 2014 (suppl) S161.
- Jiang H, Fang P, et.al. Kill two birds with one stone: Analysis of [11C]choline and [13N]ammonia with a single HPIC method. Journal of Nuclear Medicine, 2020, (supp) S1001.
- Jiang H, Fairweather D, et.al. Improved Production of (R)-[11C]PK11195 for PET Imaging of Inflammation. Journal of Nuclear Medicine, 2020, (supp) S1004.
- Zhong J, Zhang L, Jiang H, et.al. High Resolution Longitudinal Monitoring of HSC Transplantation Using the NIS Reporter Gene and PET/CT Imaging. Molecular Therapy, 2017, (suppl) S308.
- Jiang H, Bansal A, et.al. Synthesis of 18F-Tetrafluoroborate (18F-TFB) via Radiofluorination of Boron Trifluoride and Evaluation in a Murine C6-Glioma Tumor Model. Journal of Nuclear Medicine, 2016, (suppl) S2721a.
- DeGrado T, Kemp B, Pandey M, Jiang H, et.al. First-in-human PET Imaging of 63Zn-zinc Citrate in Healthy Elderly Subjects and Patients with Alzheimer's Disease. Journal of Nuclear Medicine, 2016, (supp) S127
- Jiang H, Pandey M, DeGrado T. Synthesis of [F-18] Tetrafluoroborate via Radiofluorination of BF3. Journal of Labelled Compound and Radiopharmaceuticals, 2015, (suppl) S255.
- DeGrado T, Nathan G, Jiang H, et.al. Automated Production of F-18-labeled Acyl Fluorides as F-18-fluorination Synthons. Journal of Labelled Compound and Radiopharmaceuticals, 2015, (suppl) S200.
- Pandey M, Jiang H. et.al. Cyclotron Production of 68Ga Using a Solution Target. Journal of Nuclear Medicine, 2014, (supp) S434.
- Gaseous F-18 technologies. WO 2015/143019, PCT/US2015/021215
- High specific activity preparation of F-18 tetrafluoroborate. WO2017189415, PCT/US2017/029089
Journal Responsibilities (as a reviewer for the following peer-reviewed journals)
- European Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging
- European Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging Research
- American Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging
- Molecular Imaging and Biology
- Applied Radiation and Isotopes
- Stem Cells Translational Medicine
- European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry
- Bioorganic Medicinal Chemistry
- Bioorganic Medicinal Chemistry Letters
- Annals of Clinical Case Report
- Journal of Experimental & Clinical Cancer Research